Monday, July 20, 2009

Shanmuga Kavacham (Tamil)

Shanmuga Kavasam
(Armour of Lord with six faces)
By
Pamban Kumara Guru dasa Swamigal

Translated by
P.R.Ramachander
(Pamban Swamigal was a great saivite saint belonging to Rameswaram and lived during the later half of 19th century. He was a great Tamil scholar and a great devotee of Lord Subrahmanya. He has written several works in praise of God. Shamuga kavasam (The armour of the six faced lord) written by him is perhaps the most popular. I have consulted the translation of this great work given in the http://www.skandagurunatha.org during my translation to understand the prayer, I express my grateful acknowledgement to this web site.)




Andamayi avaniyagi,, Ariyona porulathagi,
Thondargal guruvumagi ,Thugalaru deivamagi,
Endisai potha nindra,, ennarul isan aana,
Thindiral saravanathan, dinamum yen sirasai kaakka. 1

May my head be protected daily by the gracious Lord of Saravana* stream,
Who has become the spheres of the universe which includes all worlds,
Who is the eternal truth which is beyond our limited knowledge,
Who became the one who teaches all his devotees,
Who became the flawless and ever pure Godhead,
Who stood being praised by all in the eight directions,
And who also became my God showering his grace on me.
* The sparks which emanated from the third eye of Lord Shiva fell
in the Saravana stream and turned in to six babies. Parvathi took
them all together and they became a baby with six faces.

Aadhiyam Kayilai chelvan, Ani netthi thanai kaakka,
Thadavizh kadappa thaaraan, thaniru noodalai kaakka,
Chodhiyaam thanigai eesan , thurisila vizhiyai kaakka,
Nadhanaam Karthigeyan, nasiyai nayandu kaakka. 2

May the primeval Lad of Mount Kailas, protect my pretty forehead,
May the wearer of the fragrant garland of Kadamba flowers protect my eye brows.
May the effulgent lord of Thiruthani , protect my clear and spotless eyes,
May the Lord who is Karthigeya* protect my nose with willingness.
* As soon as he was born he was looked after by 6 Karthigai maidens.
Hence he is called Karthigeya

Irusevi kalayum Chevvel, iyalpudan kaakka vayai,
Murugavel kaakka naa ppalmuzhudum nal kumaran kaakka,
Thuricharu kaduppai yanai thundanaar tunaivar kaakka,
Thiruvudan pidari thannai Shiva Subramanian kaakka. 3

The holder of the red spear who protects my twin ears ,
May very naturally protect my mouth also,
May the very pretty holder of spear protect my toungue,
May all my teeth be protected by the good lad Kumara,
May my spotless cheeks be protected by younger brother,
Of the God who has a face like an elephant,
And may my back of the neck be protected by Shiva Subrahmanya.

Eesanam vaguleyan yenadu ugandarathai kakka,
Thegaru thol vilavum thirumagal marugan kaaka,
Aasila marbai eeraru aayudhan kakka, yendran,
Yesila muzhangai thannai , ezhil kurinjikkon kakka. 4

May my neck be protected by the God Bahuleya,
May my ribs and shoulders be protected by nephew of Goddess Lakshmi,
May my flawless chest be protected by he who wears twelve weapons,
May my unblemished elbows be protected by the king of Kurinji* land.
*Land in the hills

Uruthiyayi mun kai thannai, Umayin madalai kaakka,
Tharukan yeridave yen kaithalathai maa murugan kaakka,
Puran kaiyai ayilon kaakka, porikkara viralgal pathum,
Pirangu maal marugan kaakka, pin mudugai chey kaakka. 5

May my forearms be protected and made strong by baby of Parvathi,
May the great Muruga protect my palms in full and make them mighty,
May the back of my hands be protected by the holder of the spear-Vel,
May all my ten fingers which are needed be protected by nephew of Vishnu,
And May my back be protected by the divine baby.

OOn nirai vayithai manjai oordhiyon kaakka, vambuth,
Thol nimir suresan undhi chuzhiyinai kaakka,Kuyya ,
Naninay angi gowri nandanan kaakka, bheeja,
Aaniyai Kandan kaakka, arumugan kudathai kaakka. 6

May my belly full of flesh , be protected by him who rides the peacock,
May the Lord of devas with upright shoulders protect my belly button,
May the son of Parvathy born from sparks protect my private parts,
May the great Lord Skanda protect the carrier of my sperms,
And May my anus be protected by the God with six faces.

Yenchidathu uduppai velukku iraivanar kaakka, kaakka,
Anchakanam orirandum aaran magan kaakka, kaakka,
Vinjidu porut Kangeyan vilaradi thodayai kaakka kaakka,
Chenchasaran nesa aasan thimiru mun thodayai kaakka. 7

May the Lord of the Vel protect the remaining part of my hip,
May the son of Lord Shiva protect both my buttocks,
May the foster son of Ganges, protect the twin split back thighs,
And May the teacher with red lotus feet protect my robust front thighs.

Yeraga thevan yen thaal iru muzhan kaalaum kaakka,
Cheer udai kanai kkal thannai cheeralai vaythe kaakka,
Nerudai paradu randum nigazh paran giriyan kaakka,
Cheeriya kudhikkal thannai, thirucholai Malayan kaakka. 8

May the lord of Swamimalai protect both my knees,
May the Lord of Thiruchendur protect my well set ankles,
Mayboth my straight feet be protected by Lord of Thiruparangiri,
And May my well formed heels be protected by Lord of Pazhamudhir cholai

Iyurumalayan padathamar pathu viralum kaakka,
Payuru pazhani nadha paran agam kaalai kaakka,
Meyyudal muzudum aadhi vimala chanmugavan kaakka,
Deyva nayaga vishagan dinamum yen nenjai kaakka. 9

May the Lord of all hill temples protect the ten fingers of my feet,
May the soles of my feet be protected by the Lord of majestic Pazhani,
May my entire body be protected by the pristine pure Shanmuga,
And May the Lord of Devas born in Vishaga star protect my mind.

Oliyezha uratha chathathodu varu pootha pretham,
Pali kol rakkatha pey, pala kanathu yevai aanalum,
Kili kola yen vel kaaka, kedu parar cheyyum soonyam,
Valiyula manthra thanthram, varundidathu ayil vel kaakka. 10

May the devils and ghosts which come along with horrible sound,
May the devil of Rakshasas demanding live sacrifice or any other ,
Devil it may be, be protected by the great Vel and may the great Vel,
Also prevent the coming of the evil chants and spirits sent,
By outside wicked people who want to do bad things for me.

Ongiya cheethame kondu, uvani vil vel soolangal,
Thangiya thandam ekkam, thadi parasu eeti aadhi,
Pangudai ayudhangal pagaivar, yen mele ochin,
Theengu cheyyamal yennai, thirukaivel kaakka, kaakka, 11

When my enemies with great anger throw catapult, bow,
Vel, trident ,wheel, big rod, stick, axe, spear and other weapons,
On me , with an aim of causing me great hurt,
May your holy Vel protect me from injury or harm.

Olaviyam ular, oon unpor, asadar , pey , arakkar , pullar,
Thevvargal yevar aanalum, thidamudam yenai mal kkatta,
Thaviye varuvar aayin, characharam yellam purakkum,
Kavvudai soora sandan, kai aayil kaakka, kaakka. 12

If people who are jealous, flesh eaters, fools, devils, asuras, mean people,
And evil spirits whoever they may be , come with fixed idea of wrestling with me,
And come pouncing upon me, may the Vel which protects all the worlds,
Which was ready to drive Soora Padma away, protect and guard me.

Kaduvida panthal Singam, karadi nay puli ma yanai,
Kodiya kol nai , kurangu, kolamar chalam chambhu,
Nadyudai yedanal yenum, nandar pattidamal,
Chaduthiyil vadi Vel Kaakka, chanavi munai Vel Kakka. 13

If very poisonous snakes, lion, bear, dog tiger , great elephant,
Very cruel wolf, monkey , pig , cat and other animals,
Try to attack me to do harm, may the great Vel come fast,
And protect me, may the Vel of the son of Ganges protect me.

Ngakara may pol thamee gnana Vel kaakka,Van pul,
Sigari thel nandu kali cheyyam yeru aala ppalli,
Nagamudai Ondhi pooran, nail vandu puliyin poochi,
Ugamisai vathaal yerku oor oorilathu Iyvel kaakka. 14

May the wise Vel protect me like the letter “nga”, which is adjunct,
To other alphabets in Tamil from big birds, scorpions, crabs,
Cheyyam*, poisonous lizards , poisonous reptiles, spider,
Millipedes and May it also prevent their attacking me and my people.
*Poisonous insect

Chalathil uuyy van meen yeru, thandudi thirukkai mathum ,
Nilathilum chalathilum thaan, nedum thuya thararke ulla,
Kulathinaal naan varutham, kondidathu avvavelai ,
Balathudan irundhu kaakka, pavagi koor vel kaakka. 15


May the Vel of the one who was born out of sparks protect me,
With strength at all times whenever needed by me,
From those fish and crocodiles living in water and the long horny fish,
And from all other cruel beings living in water and also in land,

Jnamaliyam pariyan kai vel, nava graham kol kaakka,
Chuma vizhi noygal thanda, choolai aakkirana rogam,
Thimir kazhal vadam sokai, siram adi karna rogam,
Yemai anukamale panniuru puyan chaya vel kaakka 16

May the Vel of him who rides the peacock protect me from nine planets,
And May the vel of him who has twelve arms protect and not allow,
The approach of Diseases of the eyes, tooth , nose and ears and also.
Thimir* disease, rheumatism , anemia and disease of head and foot
* I do not know what the poet indicates here

Damarugath adi pol thaikkum, thali idi kanda malai,
Kumuruvi puruthi kunmam, kudal val eezhai kasam,
Nimironathu kuthum vettai, neer pramekam yellam,
Yemai adayamale kundru yerindavan vel kaakka. 17

May the Vel of he who split the krouncha mountain not allow,
The approach of head ache which torments like a beat of the drum,
Adenitis neck, hook worm disease, colic of the intestine,
Bronchitis Asthma, Tuberculosis , gonorrhea and diabetes.

Inakkam illatha pitha yerivuma karangal kai kaal,
Munakkave kuraikkum kuttam, moola ven mulai thee mantham,
Chanathile kollum channi, samendru arayum inda,
Pini kulam yenai aalamal perum chathi vadi vel kaakka. 18

May the big Vel protect me from the family of deadly diseases,
Like the ulcer of the stomach, leprosy which deforms the palm and the feet,
Piles, dyspepsia and reduction of temperature which kills instantly,

Thavanamarogam, vadam chayithiyam, arochaka mey,
Chuvarave cheyyum moola choodu, kalaippu udathu vikkal,
Avathi chey pedhi cheezh noi, anda vadangal choolai,
Yenayum yendatheythamal, yem piran thini vel kaakka. 19

May the strong Vel of my lord protect and prevent the reach of,
Unquenchable thirst, rheumatism, tiresomeness, lack of taste for food,
High fever which reduces our activity, tiresomeness, hiccough, diseases
Causing pus, diarrhea, Dysentery, enlargement of testicles and acute stomach pain.

Namai puru kirindhi veekam, nanugidu pandu shobham,
Amarnthidu karumai venmai, aakupal thozhu noi kakkal,
Maikku mun uru valippodu, yezhupudai pagandaradhi.
Maipozhudenum yennai, yeithamal arul vel kaakka. 20

May the merciful Vel protect me from the approach of,
Itch causing herpes, luecoderma , swelling of body,
The white and black leprosy Vomiting of food taken,
And the disease of paundaram which appears in no time.

Pallathu kadithu meesai pada padvendre thudikka,
Kallinum valiya nenjam, kattiye urutti nokki,
Yellinum kariya meni , yema bhadar varinum yennai,
Ollayil tharakari Om, Im , reem Vel kaakka. 21

May the powerful Vel of my Lord which vanquished Tharaka,
Rescue and save me with the sacred chants of “Om. Im and reem”,
When the soldiers of Yama blacker than gingelly and with stony heart come with,
Grinding teeth, moving moustache ,and staring at me with rolling eye balls.

Mannilum marathin meethum, malayilum, neruppin meethum,
Than nirai chalathi meethum, Cari chey oorthi meedum,
Vinnilum pilathin ullum, Verenthedathum yennai,
Nanni vandu arular sashti nadhan vel kaakka, kaakka. 22

May the sacred Vel of the lord of Sashti* come of its own accord,
Whether I am on earth, tree, mountain or on fire,
Whether I am on flowing water or moving chariot,
Or Whether I am on the sky or inside the cave or any where else.
* sixth phase of moon, holy to the Lord,

Yakarame pol choolendum, narumbuyam vel mun kaakka,
Aakarame mudalaam eeraru ambakan Vel pin kaakka,
Chakaramodu aarum aanon than kai vel naduvil kaakka,
Chikaramin deva moli thikazh iyvel keez mel kaakka. 23

May the Vel held on the fragrant shoulder , resembling letter “Ya” , protect my front,
May Vel of my lord with twelve eyes resembling twelve vowels of Tamil protect my behind,
May the Vel of the Lord with a six letter name* starting with “Cha”, protect my middle,
May the Vel with the crown of divine glory protect me from above and below.
*Charavanabhava(in tamil alphabets)

Ranchithamozhudhe vaanai nayagan valli bhangan,
Chenchaya Vel kizhakkil thiramudan kaakka, Angi,
Vinchsidu disayin jnana veeran vel kaakka, therkil,
Yenchida kathirkamathon, kaludai kara vel kaakka. 24

May the Vel of the Lord of the sweet toungued DEvayani ,
Daughter of Indra and his life partner Valli protect me from east,
May the Vel of the hero of divine wisdom protect me from south east,
And May the Vel of the enemy destroying sacred hand,
Of the Lord of “Kathirkamam*” protect me from south.
*Very holy temple of shanmuga in Srilanka.

Lakarame pol kalingan nalludal neliya nindru,
Thakara mardhaname cheydha Sankari marugan kai vel,
Nigazhena niruthi thikkal, nilai pera kaaka, Merkil,
Kal ayil kaakka, Vayuvinil guhan Kadhirvel kaakka. 25

May the Vel of the nephew of Lord Vishnu who danced,
On the Kaliyan cobra standing in the shape of tamil letter “La”
Protect me in the south western side , May the peacock protect me from west,
And may the dazzling, Vel of the divine God who lives in the cave protect from north west.

Vada disai thannil eesan, magan arul thiruvel kaakka,
Vidayudai eesan dikkil Veda bodhakan Vel kaakka,
Nadakkayil rukkum jnandrum navil kayyil nimirgayil keezh,
Kidakkayil thoongom jnandrum, kiri thulaitthula Vel kaakka. 26

May the Vel of the beloved son of Lord Shiva protect me from north,
May the Vel of the teacher of Vedas to Brahma protect me from north east,
And may the almighty Vel which pierced the mountain protect me,
When I sit, speak, get up, lie down and sleep.

Izhandu pogatha vazhvai, eeyum muthayanaar kai vel,
Vazhangum nalloon unpodhum, mal vilayattin podhum,
Pazhamchurar pothum padam, panindu nenju adakkum podhum,
Chezhum gunathode kaakka, thidamudan mayilum kaakka. 27

The Vel “of the Lord of salvation*” would grant you the divine eternal life,
And may I be protected when I take delicious food, and when,
I participate in tiresome exercises and when I worship the Gods,
And when I deeply meditate on him, and the peacock of the lord protect me.
* Mukthi tharum Ayyan

Ilamayil valibhathil, yeridu vayodhikkathil,
Valar aaru muka chivan thaan, vandenai kaakka, kaakka,
Oliyezhu kala mun yel, Om shiva sami kaakka,
Thelinadu pirpagal kaal shivaguru nadhan kaakka. 28

May the Lord with six faces come and protect me in childhood,
Youth and in the old age which grows on rapidly increasing,
May the Lord Of Shiva himself protect me before early morning,
And the teacher of Lord Shiva protect me during bright afternoons.

Yirakudai kozhithogaikkuirai mun ravil kaakka,
Thiraludai soorpakaithe thigazh pin ravil kaakka,
Naravucher thaan chilamban, nadunisi thannil kaakka,
Maraithozhu kuzhakan yem kon, kaakka, kaakka. 29

May the Lord of the splendidly feather peacock protect me at early night,
May the enemy of egoistic Sura Padma protect me at later part of night,
May the Lord who wears garlands and anklets protect me at mid night,
May the Lord of the Vedas who is our king protect me without break.

Yinamena thondar odum, yinakkidum chetti kaakka,
Thanimayil kootam thannil Charavana bhavanar kaakka,
Naliyanubhoothi chonna nadhar kon kaakka, Yithai.
Kanivodu chonna dasan, kadavul thaan kaakka vande. 30

May the divine merchant* who classifies me as his devotee protect me,
May the Lord Sharavana Bhava protect me when I am alone or in a crowd,
May the kingly composer of Kandhar Anubhoothi protect me,
May the Lord protect those who chant this with devotion.
*He trades salvation for devotion
Thiruchithambalam
(Name of the temple of Chidamabaram)

No comments: