Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thodagashtakam

Thodakashtakam
By
Ananda Giri (Thodagacharya)
Disciple of Adhi Sankara
Translated by
P.R.Ramachander

Vidhithakhila sasthra sudha Jaladhe
Mahithopanishath kadithartha nidhe,
Hrudaye kalaye vimalam charanam,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 1

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
Who is the ocean of nectar of our great holy books,
And who is like the Treasure
Of the essence of the great Upanishads,

Karuna varunalaya  playa mam,
Bhava sagara dacha vidhoonahrudham,
Rachayakhila darsana Thathwa vidham,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 2

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
Who is the great ocean of mercy,
And seek protection for me , who has suffered deep sorrow,
In the ocean of day to day life,
And also request to make me,
Know all the schools of our philosophy.

Bhavatha janatha suhitha bhavitha,
Nija bodha vicharana charumathe,
Kalayeshwara jeeva viveka vidham,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 3

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
Because of whom the world has a pleasant life,
Oh great soul who can teach the great knowledge,
Make me understand the knowledge of the soul.

Bhava eva bhavanihi may nitharam,
Samajayatha chethasi kauthukitha,
Mama vaaraya moha maha jaladhim,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 4

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
When I understood it is him,
I became ecstasic with happiness,
And requested, please dry the ocean of passion in me.

Sukruthe adhikruthe bahudha bhavatha,
Bhavitha sama darshana lalasatha,
Athi deenamimam paripalaya maam,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 5

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
When the good deeds accumulate and become more,
Like you, my mind would see everything as equal,
Please give protection to this very lowly me.

Jagathi avithum kalitha kruthayo,
Vicharanthi mahaa maha saschalatha,
Ahimmsurivathra vibhasi pura,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 6

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
Those who are born to protect this world,
And who are like a burning flame,
Roam everywhere without any one’s knowledge,
But you shine before me like the Sun God

Guru pungava pungava kethana they,
Samayamayatham nahi ko api sudhi,
Saranagatha vathsala Thathwa nidhe,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 7

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
Who is the teacher among teachers 
Who does not have any equal,
Who is the treasure house of Philosophy
And who is merciful to those who seek his blessings.

Vidhitha na maya visadhaika kala,
Na cha kinchana kanchanamasthi guro,
Dhruthameva videhi krupaam sahajam,
Bhava Sankara desiga may saranam. 8

Become my refuge , Oh my Guru Sankara,
And request him to shower his natural grace fast on me,
Who does not posses expertise in any branch,
And who does not even a small piece of wealth(gold?)
P.S.This URL contains another translation and also detailed commentaries on each and every stanza.
http://www.geocities.com/srigant/SriThotakastakam.htm

No comments: