Ashta Lakshmi Stotra II
(The prayer to the eight Lakshmis)
(Swami Adhyathmanandaji (http://www.divyajivan.org/) writes about Ashta Lakshmis as follows:-
“Lakshmi is commonly known as Goddess of wealth. Wealth is not only the money. Tradition and values of life is also wealth. Our family and progress is also wealth. Our belongings such as land, properties, animals, grains, etc as well as virtues like patience, persistence, purity etc in the form of a character are nothing but our wealth and so also glory or victory. Thus this eightfold Sri Lakshmi is known as Sri Ashta Lakshmi.
Mother Lakshmi is the source and provider of the following enumerated well-known sixteen types of wealth and many more. (1) Fame (2) Knowledge (3) Courage and Strength (4) Victory (5) Good Children (6) Valour (7) Gold and other gross properties (8) Grains in abundance (9) Happiness (10) Bliss (11) Intelligence (12) Beauty (13) Higher Aim, High Thinking and Higher Meditation too (14) Morality and Ethics (15) Good Health (16) Long Life. Let us glance upon the glory of mother Ashta Lakshmi’s individual nature and forms.
1. Adi Lakshmi: Mother Lakshmi resides with Lord Narayana in the Vaikuntha, the abode of Lord Narayana. She is known as Ramaa, means bringing happiness to the mankind. She is also known as Indira (who holds lotus or purity in the hands or heart.) Divine Mother’s this form is normally seen serving Sri Narayana. Lord Narayana is omnipresent. Adi Lakshmi or Ramaa Lakshmi serves Sri Narayana is symbolic of her serving the whole creation. Though Sri Narayana is attended by innumerable devotees, still she personally loves to serve the Lord. Actually mother Adi Lakshmi and Narayana are not two different entities but one only. Many a place we see her form sitting in the lap of Sri Narayana.
2. Dhanya Lakshmi: Dhanya means grains. This includes all kind of purified food containing all essential vitamins, minerals, protein, calcium, carbohytrade and so on. With the grace of mother Dhanya Lakshmi one gets all essential nutrients grains, fruits, vegetables and other foods.
3. Dhairya Lakshmi: This form of mother Lakshmi grants the boon of infinite courage and strength. Those, who are in tune with infinite inner power, are always bound to have victory. Those who worship mother Dhairya Lakshmi they live and lead a life with tremendous patience and inner stability.
4. Gaja Lakshmi: In the holy book of Srimad Bhagavata the story of the churning of the ocean by Gods and demons is explained in detail. Author, the Sage Vyasa writes that Lakshmi came out of the ocean during the churning of the ocean (Samudra Manthan). So she is known as a daughter of the ocean. She came out of the ocean sitting on a full-bloomed lotus and also having lotus flowers in both hands with two elephants by her sides, holding a beautiful vessels filled with milk and pouring it over Sri Lakshmi. Many a time we see Sri Lakshmi standing in the lotus and elephants are pouring nectar over her. During the festival of the lamps or the Deepavali along with Sri Lakshmi the Ganapati or the Elephant God also gets worshipped; that signifies the protection from evils as well as abundant grace and blessings for additional prosperities!
5. Santan Lakshmi: In the family life, the children are the greatest treasure. Those who worship this particular form of Sri Lakshmi, known as a Santan Lakshmi, are bestowed with the grace of mother Lakshmi and have wealth in the form of desirable children with good health & long life.
6. Vijay Lakshmi: Vijay is victory. Vijay is to get success in all undertakings and all different facets of life. Some are strong physically but weak mentally while others are economically rich but poor in their attitude and cannot exert any influence. Vijay is to have all encompassing victory. Vijay is to rejoice glory of our real nature – Vijay is to conquer the lower nature. Vijay is the victory in external and internal wars and of course eternal wars! Hence those, with grace of mother Vijay Lakshmi, have victory everywhere, at all time, in all conditions. Victory to Vijay Lakshmi !!
7. Dhana Lakshmi: Dhana is wealth. But as per Rigved’s Purush Shukta Dhana is not only a wealth in coins and currency. Even Sun and moon, fire and stars, rains and nature, oceans and mountains, rivers and streams, all these are our wealth, so are the progeny, our inner will power, our character and our virtues. With the grace of mother Dhana Lakshmi we will get all these in abundance.
8. Vidya Lakshmi: Vidya is education. Education is not mere studies to receive the degrees and diplomas certificates from the educational institutes or universities”
I do not think I can write a better introduction than this
Please note that in this stotra the classification is slightly different. Here it is Adhi Lakshmi, Gaja Lakshmi, Dhana Lakshmi, Dhanya Lakshmi, Santhana Lakshmi , Veera Lakshmi, Vijaya Lakshmi and Maha Lakshmi..This is the second version of Ashta Lakshmi stotra that I have come across. The first one is also available in my compilation.
Dwibhujam cha dwinethram cha sa abhyam, varadanwitham,
Pushpa mala dharam , devim ambhujasana samsthitham,
Pushpa thorana samyuktham , prabha mandala manditham,
Sarva lakshana samyuktham , sarvabharana bhooshitham,
Peethambaradharam devim makute charu bandhanaam,
Sthano nadhi sama yuktham parswayor dheepa shakthikam,
Soundarya nilayam, shakthim , Adhi lakkshmeem aham Bhaje. 1
I salute and sing about that primeval Lakshmi,
Who gives protection by her two eyes and hands,
Who gives copious boons, who wear flower garlands,
Who is the goddess who sits on the throne of lotus,
Who sits in the arena decorated by chains of flowers,
Who shines in the halo of light, who has perfect beauty,
Who wears all ornaments, who wears yellow silks,
Who wears a decorated crown, who has a high bosom,
Who has rows of lights on both her sides,
Who is the personification of beauty and power.
(Lakshmi of Elephants)
Chathur bhujam , dwinethram vara abhaya karanvidham,
Abja dwaya karambhojam, abjasana samasthitham,
Sasi varna kadobabhyam plavyamanam maha sriyam,
Sarvabharana shobhadyam shubra vasthorthareeyakam,
Chamara graham naribhi sevitham, parswayor dwayo,
Aapada lambhivasanam karanda makutam bhaje. 2
I sing and salute the Gaja Lakshmi, who has four hands,
Who has two eyes, whose two hands show the symbol,
Of giving of boons and providing of succour,
Who has lotus flowers in two hands, Who is seated on a lotus,
Who is being anointed by water by two elephants of black colour,
Who shines in various ornaments, who wears white cloths,
Who is being served by two ladies holding fan on her both sides,
And who shines from her head to foot.
(The Lakshmi of wealth)
KIrreda makudopetham, swarna varna samanvitham,
SArvabhara samyuktham, sukhasana manvitham,
Paripoornam cha kumbham ch a dakshinena karenathu,
Chakram banam cha thamboolam thada vama karenathu,
Sankham padmam cha chapam cha gandikam api dharineem,
Sath kanchukastha neem , dhyayeth danalakshmeem manoharam. 3
I meditate on the very pretty looking Dhana Lakshmi.
Who wears a crown on her head, who is of the golden colour,
Who is with all type of ornaments, who sits on the seat of pleasure,
Who holds a filled up pot in her left hand,
Who has wheel. arrow and betel leaves on her right hand,
Who also has conch, rope and wears a golden chain,
And who wears a tight cloth blouse over her bosom.
(The Lakshmi of grains)
Varadhabhya samyuktham , kireeda makudojjwalam,
Ambujam che akshu chaleem vaa kadali phala dronikam,
Pankajam daksha vamethu, dadhanaam Shukla roopineem,
Krupa moorthim jadachoodam sukhasana samsthitham,
SArvalangara samyuktham sarvabhara bhooshitham,
Mada matham manohari roopam, dhanya sriyam bhaje. 4
I sing and salute The Dhanya Lakshmi,
Who holds symbol of protection and mercy,
Who is offered lotus, sugarcane and pot of banana fruit,
Who shines with the crown on her head,
Who holds a lotus in her right hand,
Who bestows grace and is white in colour,
Who is personification of mercy, who wears brooch in her hair,
Who sits in a comfortable pose, who is well decorated,
Who wears all sort of ornaments,,
Who is exuberant and has a pretty mien.
(Lakshmi of progeny)
Jada makuta samyuktham sthidasana samanvitham,
Abhayam gadgam chaiva poorna kumbham bhuja dwaye,
Kanchugam chanda veeram cha moukthikam chapi dharineem,
Dheepa chamara nari bhi sevitha m , parsvayor dwayo,
Bala senathi sangase karuna pooridananaam,
Maha rajnim cha Santhana Lakshmim ishtartha sidhaye. 5
Let the queen like Santhana Lakshmi , who wears a crown,
Who sits on a stable seat,, who holds in her two hands,
Symbol of protection, sword and a pot completely full,
Who wears a small sword and silken dress on her bosom ,
Who is served on both sides by ladies holding fan and light,
Who showers love on the child Subrahmanya sitting on her lap,
Fulfill all my wishes and wants and wealth.
(Lakshmi of Valour)
Ashta bahu yutham lakshmim simhasana vara sthitham,
Thaptha kanchana sangasam , kireda makudojjwalam,
Swarna kanchuka samyuktham satha veera dharam thadha,
Abhayam varadam chaiva bhuja bhuja yos samyavayo,
Chakram soolam cha banam cha sankham chapam kapalakam,
Datheem Veeralakshmim cha nava thalathmikam Bhaje. 6
I salute that valorous Lakshmi by whose side nine trees shine,
Who has eight hands, who sits on a throne, who shines like molten gold,
Who wears a crown over her hair, who wears a golden cloth over her bosom,
And also a garland of gold, who shows the symbol of protection,
Symbol of blessing in her right and left hands ,
And who holds, the holy wheel, spear , bow , conch , bow and a skull.
(Lakshmi of Victory)
Ashta bahu yudham devim simhasana varasthitham,
Sukhasanam sukesim cha kireeda makudojjwalam,
Shyamangim , komalaa karam sarvabharana bhooshitham,
Gadgam , pasam gadha chakram varadam vama hasthake,
Kedakam changusam sankham varadam vama hasthake,
Raja roopa dharam shakthim Prabhu soundarya shobhitham,
Hamsaroodam smareth devim vijayam vijayapthaye. 7
I meditate on that goddess riding on a swam and pray for victory,
Who has eight hands , who sits on a throne in a comfortable posture,
Who has very pretty hair and wears a shining crown over that,
Who is black in colour, who is pretty and wears all ornaments,
Who has sword , rope , wheel and symbol of protection in right hands,
Who has shield, goad , conch and symbol of blessing in her right hands,
Who looks like a king, who is powerful , lord and shines due to her beauty.
(The great Lakshmi)
Chathur bhujam Maha Lakshmim gaja yugma supoojitham,
Padma pathra nayanam, varabhaya karojjwalam,
Oordhwa dhwaya kare chabjam dadatheem shkla vasthrakam,
Padmasane sukhaseenam bhajeham sarva Mangalam, 8
I worship she who sits comfortably in a lotus pose,
Who bestows all good things, who has four hands,
Who is Maha Lakshmi, who is worshipped by two elephants,
Who has eyes like leaf of lotus, who has shining hands,
Showing the symbols of protection and blessing,
Who holds on other two hands lotus flowers,
Who dresses herself in white .