Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ghana Sangam or Ambika Sthavam by POonthanam (Malayalam)


Ghana Sangam or Ambika Sthavam
(The cloud collection or prayer  to mother Goddess)

By
Poonthanam

Translated  by
P.R.Ramachander
(Poonthanam was possibly one of the greatest forerunners of Bhakthi cult in Kerala and his greatest work was Jnana Pana, Loosely it can be translated as “Pot of Knowledge”. But “pana” here is not pot but a style of folk poem. This is written in a common man’s language and in a common man’s verse. It preaches the greatness of repetition (singing) of the Holy God’s names. In between Poonthanam wrote about the world he saw and the world he wanted to see. Some people term it as the “Bhagavad Geetha of Malayalam. Poonthanam also has written several prayers  addressed to the Goddess  and this is one of them.)


1.Ghana sangam idayunna   thanukanthi thozhunnen,
Ani thingal kala  choodum  puri jata  thozhunnen.

I salute the luster of your body which competes with the dark  heavy clouds,
I salute your curly hair, where you wear the crescent of the moon.

2.Dushtaraam asurare dahikkum , thee jwalikkum,
Padu kan mizhi moonum nidilavum thozhunnen.

I salute your forehead  and   the three eyes ,
Which burn like fire and  burns  the wicked asuras.

3-4 .Vilasamakunna chilli yugalam  kai thozhunnen,
Mugdhamai kanivode  maranju vannu anisam,
Bhaktharil  pathikkunna  kadakannu thozhunnen,
Thilasuma ruchi venna   thiru  nasaa thozhunnen.

I salute your very two eye brows which are pretty,
I salute your  corner of the eye which  secretly ,
And   with kindness  falls  always on your devotees.
I salute your nose which  has won over the flower of Gingelly.

5.Chenthondi pazham vennor adharam kai thozhunnen,
Kundha kudmalangal vennaradanangal kai thozhunnen.

I salute your lips which have won over the red bimba fruit.
I salute your teeth which have won over  jasmine buds.

6.Chandrika ruche  vennoru hasitham kai thozhunnen,
Chandamodu navum itha  jnan kai thozhunnen.

I salute your smile which wins over the moon light,
I also salute   your pretty toungue .

7.Idi nadhamudan vannu  angu adiyina  paniyum,
Kadinamodu yezhunna  humkruthi nadham thozhunnen.

I salute the  sound “Hum” which   comes with a sound of thunder,
And starts in a harsh manner  and salute  your feet.

8.MInnalodu  idayunnorekira  kai thozhunnen,
Pannaga rachitham kundalam  random thozhunnen.

I salute your  fangs which fight with lightning ,
I salute your two ear globes fashioned like a snake.

9.Kannadi vadivotha  kavil ina  thozhunnen,
Poorna chandrane venna thirumukham thozhunnen.

I salute  your two cheeks  which are similar to the mirror,
I salute your face which wins over the full moon.

10.Kambu thannani bangi kavarnnu  kondezhunna,
Kamramakinas  kandam kuralaram kai thozhunnen.

I salute    your pretty neck  decorated by a flower garland,
Which rises  and steals the   great beauty   of  the conch.

11.Asuranmaar siro malaa rachithamuthareeyam,
Rudiramodaninja  nin thiruudal kai thozhnnen.

I salute your divine  body over which you  have worn,
As upper cloth the garland of blood dripping heads of asuras.

12.Phani, vaal , vattaka, soolam , parichayum thalayum,
Mani gadwangam yendhum karam ettum  thozhunnen.

I salute your eight hands holding snake , sword , lamp,
Trident  shield, head , bell  and  scimitar .

13.Paritam akhilavum jwalichangu lasikkunna ,
Maritam athil  ramyam mani mala thozhunnen.

I salute the jeweled garland worn over  your chest,
Which   makes   all the   world   shine.

14.Chandanam  valar pambum   aninju kondu ezhunna,
Chandanamale venna  thiru mula thozhunnen.

I salute your divine breasts wearing   sandal paste and snake ,
Which rises up beating   the sandal wood mountain.

15.Avadhi moonu ulaginnum vibajichu  thilangum,
Trivali shobhithamayoru udaram kai thozhunnen.

I salute your stomach  which shines with  three lines,
And shines dividing   time  between the three  worlds.

16.Chuvanna pattutayada  nithambam kai thozhunnen,
Sulkaramai  uyarnna  pambudanjaan kai thozhunnen.

I salute your  hip over  dressed up in red silk,
I salute  your  snake belt  which rises with a hissing sound.

17.Karabhavum manithoonum  kadaliyum  thozhunnen,
OOru bangi kalarnna   ni thiruthuda thozhunnen.

I salute your thighs  similar to elephant trunk , gem pillar and banana plant,
I salute your divine thighs which has  pretty shanks.

18.Sevipparkku abheeshtartham   koduppanai   nirachu,
Mevunna mani cheppo  muzhankal thozhunnen.

I salute your knee  which appears like a gem studded box,
Filled with things to fulfill the desires of your devotees.

19.Angaja nishangam  kaithakam iva thozhunna,
Bangiyil urunda  nin kanam kaal thozhunnan.

I salute   your very pretty rounded  calves ,
Which is saluted  by the  quiver of love god and flowers.

20.Sura vrundha  kireedaali   mani nirajitha  mayor,
Aravindha ruche venna   adiyina   thozhunnen.

I salute your feet which has beaten the lotus flower,
Which reflects the lights from the crowns of several devas.

21.Kadakam , thol vala  . Kanchi , chilambu yevam thudangi ,
Udalil angau aninja  aabharangal thozhunnan.

I salute  all the ornaments that you have worn on your body like,
Bangles, armlets , girdle and  anklets.

22.Ikkanda  bhuvanam kathezhhum Nadhe , thozhunnen,
Chol konda  Thirumandam kunnil amme , Tozhunnan.

Oh Goddess  who rules and protects of the worlds that I see , I salute you ,
I salute the    mother goddess  of Thirumandhankunnu.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

So device.Sir , where can I get the malayalam lyrics of ghana sangham