Friday, October 5, 2018

Thulasi Pattu


Thulasi  Pattu

Translated  by
P.R,Ramachander



(From my cousin sister  Subba Lakshmi (Subby)  , I understand that  my maternal grand  mother Smt Subbalakshmi  called as Ammu by her family members    and as Ammu athai  by the entire Ayalore(near Paghat)  village.Whlile going bath     and coming back, I have heard   her singing  “Hari, Hari”   which I have translated    then my sister  Subby told me that my grand mother   also used to sing daily this song. From her memory, she wrote it   to me in Malayalam  , this song. Remember my grand mother never taught my sister but  she  used to mutter  in typical Palakkad twang,I could not make head or tail  out of   the prayer. I forgot about it. Today I found it in one of my pen drives. I decided to guess words   and do a free lance translation . In the last line  my Pattammai mentions about  Mayuranadhar , the deity of Mayiladu thurai    Shiva temple. If any  of you know this song, please do correct me..Dedicated to  my Pattiyammai  with  million thanks to my sister)


1.THulasi darasanam  , papa  vinasanam,
Kattu vadam . kundalam  , Karai thirumangalyam,
Muthodu mookuthiyum  , mulai mel padakkavum,
Aththai  yellam   Panni   poondu  kitta vanthaale

The sight  of Thulasi removes all sins
Making  thick chain  , ear globes   and  old Mangalyam,
With nose drops with pearls, and  dollars  falling on her breasts ,
And wearing them   she   came near me

2.KOortha  mukhthale  , maan mizhiyale ,
Kurayellam theerkka  vantha devi saranam saranam,
Vedaranyam   darithavale, kandar oppikka vanthavale  .
Muttathu ummai  thozhuthen, thappathu ummai thozhuthen ,

Oh goddess  with sharp  fave  ,Oh  Goddess  with deer eyes ,
I surrender to you who  has come to end all my worries,
Oh Goddess  who wears  the forest of Vedas,
Who has come    to see me so that  all those  who see me appreciate me,
I saluted   you without missing, I have saluted you   always

THavarathu  ummai  THozhuthen,
Muthanincha  muzham kaalai thozhuthen,
Kadanchedutha  kanamkalai   thozhuthen,
Ila vaazhai thandu poal iru thudayum thozhuthen

Without   failing I saluted you  ,
I saluted your knees wearing   pearls ,
I  saluted   your well made ankle,
I saluted your thights which were   like tender banana stem.

AAdai udukkum arayai thozhuthen,
Amrutham pozhiyum thoppilai   thozhuthen,
Kadakam aniyum  kayyai  thozhuthen,
THiruvabharanam podum kazhuthai thozhuthen

I saluted her  hips where she wears sari,
I saluted her belly button  which rains nectar,
I saluted her hands where she wears the bangle
I saluted her neck where she wears   divine ornaments

Kathilitta maniyai   THozhuthen,
Muthozhukum vaayai thozhuthen,
Pavizham padhicha  Pallai thozhuthen,
Kili padhicha mookai thozhuthen

I saluted the gem that she wore in her ears,,
I saluted her mouth from where pearls  ebb out,
I saluted her teeth  embedded   with corals,
I saluted her  nose where a parrot was drawn.


Viratam poal irukkum nethriyayum   thozhuthen,
Nethiyilitta  kasthuri pottum thozhuthen
Vaari mudicha  mudiyai thozhuthen,
Mudichai nokki   chuzhiyum thozhuthen

I saluted her forehead which was like bamboo,
I saluted het musk   thilaka   put on her forehead,
I saluted her   hair which was    well tied,
After seeing her tied hair  , I saluted her whorls also

Chuzhiyin keez irukkum  chempaka  malayum thozhuthen
Chithum   chelampum   , chelampodu paadavum,.,
Anthikku munne   azhakaka purapettal amman,
AAkunna   palamrutham oottiye,oravore   kelai,

I also saluted the champaka garland   which was below the whorl,
The goddess   started with toe rings and anklets  on her legs,
Before the dusk in a very pretty manner,Oh  relations  ,
Who have offered her the cooked nectar like  milk rice.

Yippadikku  thannai thaanum kaathu ,
THannodu moovarayum   kaathu  koduthale,
Aanaal  iruvarai  chernthaal; , ilam pennaga, ilam kannaga
Uthamamaana  ekadasi  poorva   thirunaal .

Like   this   apart   from protecting   herself,
She   also protected    the holy trinity,
But then she joined with twi, as a  young girl, as a young darling,
On the day   previous   to the very holy Ekadasi day


Mangalamaana  navarathri, velli kizhamai jnayathi kizhamai,
Ravau orukkaa, pagal orukkaa chonna perkku ,
SAnthanathai koduthu, sampathayum  koduthu,
THanthen  thanthen yenpal   thaayaar thulasi  amman,
Appadiye aagattum yenbar    parama  purushan

To those who chant this once in the morning and once in the  evening,
During   the auspicious Navarathi , Fridays and Sundays,
Mother Thulasi  would give children , would grant prosperity,
And Say,  I will give   and I will give  ,
And   the divine   God would say    so be it.

THiruvadi rendum inge inge  ,
THiruvulla   cherchayum      inge inge,
Antha   muzhi maalayum inge inge
Anbulla koodalum inge inge,

Both   divine feet are here , here,
The joining   together  of  divine hearts is here , here
That eyes   and that   garland is here, here,
The joining   of loving hearts   is here, here

THiru thulasi , srimath  thulasi,
Azhakiya   parimalamaana    thulasiyin,
Mahimai   araar  ARiyathaanaalum ,
AAzhiyin maaril amarnthu  urayum  Vishnu   arivaar

Even if no  one knows  the greatness,
Of the divine thulasi, The thulasi leading to prosperity,
Which  is pretty and has a pleasant scent,
Lord Vishnu   who sits on the heart of ocean knows

THirumaathum   thirupasuvum    chernthu urangum sri Krishnna,
Theernthavudan varungal  Sri Krishna,
Appothu   angu  nalla     sakrathaarkku    naan poo  parikka ponen,
Pollatha     sakrhataarkku   poonthottam kaaka vanthen,

Oh Krishna   who sleeps with   the divine lady   and  divine cow ,
AS soon as it is over  , Please  come Krishna,
At that   time I went to pluck good flowers  to Lord Vishnu,
I went to protect   the    garden of mischievous  Vishnu

Pacha  pasumpaal   Kudicheer   namaskaram
Param jyothi naamam   daricheer  Namaskaram
Ichippavarkku    inbam kodutheer  , Namaskaram,
Yeppothu  paarapen  ezhunthudeer  Namaskaram.

You   drank  pure    cow’s milk without heating it  , Salutations
You took the  name  of divine flame  , Salutations,
You gave joy to those  who desired it  . Salutations,
When I will see you  , please   get   up, Salutations

Kaattilem karayilem   thulasi  kandu yeduthom,
Oru kai manneduthu  anachu  .
Oru sombu jalameduthu nanaichal

WE searched  in all forests and land   and found out a THulasi,
WE hugged a   fist of Mud to it ,
And if   we take a pot of water   and water it

Brahma  chari nanaichaal ,
Brahmchariketha   kannigayai  koduppen

If  a bachelor waters it,
I will give a maid suitable to him

Kannigayi nanaichaal   ,
Kanigaikku yetha    Bharthavai koduppen
Snthanathai koduthu, sampathayum koduppen,

If a maid waters,
I would give a husband suitable to her
I will give her children    and riches

Vaazhkiraval nanaichal ,
Manjalai  koduthu mangalyathayum koduppen,

If a married    woman waters me  ,
I will give her turmeric   and  Mangalya

Kan illathavan   nanaichal   ,
Kanakalai  koduthu,
Inime varaatha  varathai  koduppen

If a blind person waters me
I will give him eyes,
And give a boon to him that  it will not come again

Kaattilem karaelem  , thulasi  kandeduthu,
THiru muzhukku  muzhugi thiru manchanam
Yeduthom  aannal
Yeathatha   vaikundathukku   yeniyai vaippen,
Vaadatha  vaikundathukku   varathai  koduppen,
Mayir yezhakku  oru  lokam  perum,
Annale  Vallale  Mayooranadhane , Shivame

If you  found out Thulasi  in the forest as well as land,
Then take bath and pour water  over the plant(do abhisheka)
I would provide you stair case   for Vaikunta   that cannot be reached,
I would give you boon for reaching never fading  Vaikunta
Even one hair   of you then would become equal to the world,
Oh Lord, Oh charitable gd, Oh God Mayuranadha, Oh Shiva

Shubham





No comments: